Post image for 1925 Ford Model T 1/25 by AMT

1925 Ford Model T 1/25 by AMT

February 9, 2013

by Iggy Perez

If there were model kits in heaven, this is surely one of the kits you get up there! I wish all kits would have as many options as this one. This is a must have! I always wanted to build a Model T and bought one by Lindberg a long time ago, a very disappointing kit. But AMTs 1925 Model T is just all what I ever wanted from a kit! This kit has the old school box art AMT has been issuing lately, what I personally like a lot.

You can build 11 different variations of this kit. You can build different stock options and lots of custom ones. Since you have two chasis, two engines (one Model T engine and a Lincoln V8), two main bodies and lots of tires you can actually build two full cars and still have parts to spare! Awesome!

On the pic above you can see both main body parts you get. One is a chopped top and the other is the classic “Model T tub” body. You can also see the loading bed and the soft top on the pic above. In general, the moulding is good – although the hood looks pretty rough as well as some other parts.

The pic above shows some of the parts. You can see the original Model T rims, the original Model T engine along the other parts (note the rear end with the trunk on the lower part of the picture). As I mentioned before, there is a lot of work to be done on these parts before building. The level of detail is just fine – there are better detailed models, but this is just fine.

The tires came carefully packed with paper and wrapped in plastic. I love this kind of attention to detail. The reason why the tires were so carefully packed is clear: they are really neat! The lettering printed on the tires looks really good. The moulding of the tires is close to perfect. I could say that these are the best tires I’ve ever seen on a scale model! As you can see, you also get the 1925 tires.

As for the chromed parts, you get really a lot to work with! You get caps, chromed steel rims, chromed engine parts as well as many custom chromed parts for the chasis.

The clear parts are pretty simple. You get your front lights, windshield plus a big clear piece for the chopped body in red and in clear. I was disappointed to see that you don’t get any red taillights – since they had indeed moulded clear red. They could have moulded the taillights together with the big clear red piece.

The instructions are kind of poor. I miss the color references, for instance.  There is a text on the left explaining the different possibilities and packed with hints on how to put the model together. I just think it would be better to put it all “in pictures”. On the other hand, these instructions have a lot of information on the back such as tips for advanced modelers on how to customize things with clay or do variations to the body (such as cutting the hood and re-gluing it in a position that looks open).

To sum up, this is a great box (with two kits in it!). There are some downsides, but this is still one of my favorite kits of all!

Pros:

• You can build two cars out of the box!
  • Many variations are possible, both for custom and stock.
  • Great tires!

Cons:

• Instructions could have more pictures, less text and color references – I know, this is re-issue and has a nostalgic value, but still
  • The moulding isn’t very clean – but it is ok, any modeler can clean that up
  • No red clear taillights, although the had moulded clear red anyway

Feel free to check out my review on the Lindberg Model T Kit here.

Perry Thompson February 9, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Won this same re-issue kit at the NNl West show last year in a raffle. Still haven’t got around to building it. Went thru the barn and found this same kit from the 60’s. Got a lot of different types to put together now. When this kit was first released , I built about a dozen of them. Bought them with the money I made mowing lawns. Wish those days were back. At the time it was an expensive kit. I think at the release time this kit was $1.29 while most other kits were $.89. A lot different today. New kits going for $30.00 and more. Some re-issues are around $20.00. Take care and keep up the fantastic work

Iggy February 11, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Hey Perry,

thanks for sharing the story!

Iggy

gilles gagnon February 10, 2013 at 12:55 am

Hi Guys
Thank you for sending us your very valuable up dates .They help specialy biginners like me

Starting to build miniature things at 75 years of age is a challange.

Iam building your Texaco station and having a barrel of fun but I’ll be darn if Icould fint the
colored signs an letters ant the stripes ,could you help me finfd where I could order them

Yuir help would be greatly welcomed

Thank’s a lot

Gilles

Gilles

Mike Case February 10, 2013 at 10:52 am

Interesting topic, I liked your spin on it Thanx.
Have you considered sharing some of your stuff on Pintrest?

Iggy February 10, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Hey Mike,

thanks for the comment. I’ll look into Pintrest!

Iggy

Russell W. Poland February 11, 2013 at 3:05 am

Hello Iggy & Seb
This is my first news letter from the site!
I am really stoked about the information You have included!
Thank You for sharing the e-books with me I plan on putting them to good use!
I appreciate the gesture very much, I look forward to more great reading!
As I intend to purchase some of Your books as well!
Thank You once again, Happy Modeling!
Later
Russ

Iggy February 11, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Hey Russell,

thanks for the comment and thanks for following us!

Iggy

robbshelby February 11, 2013 at 8:42 am

guys,
this model T kit is also one of my all time faves – & has been since AMT originally tooled it up in 1960. This particular version is a close copy of that ’60 issue. the next issue (in 1961) & the next reissue (about 6 months after the one you have) contained (contains…..) an UNCHOPPED coupe body, as well as some less welcome updates. new, that kit was just about the best hot rod kit you could lay hands on. 50 odd years later the tooling’s a little dated, but still pretty cool. also, in response to Giles: any signage worth having can be had FREE on the internet. just google (or bing or whatever) vintage logos or specific businesses like moon equipment or texas oil company or sun oil company – actually, anything you can think of….. copy it as a saved picture, convert it to a word document, fiddle with the size ’til you have what you want & print it on an inkjet (or better) & there you have any sign you could want..
& of course, have fun with it……….
robbshelby

Alexander Lasseter February 11, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Thank you for sending me your tips. I sit and look at what you guys do in awe. I haven’t had time lately to do any building but when I get back to it I will be using your tips and techniques. I have been one of those shinny car builders so long it will take some getting used to making things look old. I am willing to try.

Iggy February 11, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Hey Alexander,

thanks for the message. I’m happy you enjoy our site! We appreciate your words!

Iggy

DENIS NEUMAYER February 12, 2013 at 12:10 am

HI BOYS, JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF YOU GOT MY PHOTOS OF MY DIORAMES. LOTS OF LABOR OF LOVE.

Iggy February 12, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Hey Denis,

I didn’t get them. Can you try to send them again? You may have to send a few at a time.

Iggy

Cliff February 22, 2013 at 8:48 pm

You Guys are the best. I have always enjoyed your e mails they help me to become more creative and Thanks for the free infomation that you share. Cliff

Mark Watkoski March 18, 2013 at 9:56 pm

HI all,

I’m in the middle of building the sister to this kit, AMT #670/12.
It’s pretty much the same kit but with T-bucket and a tall-T bodies instead of the chopped sedan. Same chassis and motors. Like a lot of others, I built these in the 60’s.
Can’t say much for the detail on the parts, but they do build into really nice nostalgia pieces.
Lots of options and with the proper filing and sanding and some brake and plug wires, they can be a standout.

Mark

Iggy March 30, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Hey Mark,

would love to see that build! Can you email me some pics?

Iggy