This is the final lap, ladies and gentlemen! I’ve finally finished the weathering on the 57 Black Widow.
One important detail on this build is the driver’s door. It has suffered a small racing crash and I tried to add some fresh scratching there. I actually painted over the paint and the decal. Another option would have been to actually scratch the paint, getting to the primer and the metal (the door is done with sheet metal, to make the bump look better). I finally decided to paint over – so painted on with a “dry brush”, using a bit of steel and a bit of white.
I’ve also done some weathering, as you may have noticed. In my previous post, I had tried some weathering on a 66 Ford Fairlane – it was a rather “muddy” weathering. On a second thought, I had the feeling that a muddy weathering would be just too.. well, muddy. And even though there could be a rainy race, I finally preferred the “dry” dirt. So I’ve used some (dry) pastel chalk. I made a special mix – I never use just one color – using brown, white and black.
I’ve tried not to go to far with the weathering – after all, you should still be able to see the car underneath the dirt 😉
One comment on this kit – as a retrospective on the kit review I made some months ago about it. The kit isn’t really bad, but as it happens some times, while building it, you find some things that just don’t fit as they should – or don’t look as they should. The interior has been modified to match the stock car. Although Revell sells this kit as a stock car kit, the interior requires some modifications, such as the seat (removing the passenger backrest, adding the racer’s side rest) or the dashboard auxiliary instruments. I scratch built the side panels, as removing the handles would have been a pain and the result wouldn’t have been as good – I thought.
The chasis doesn’t match the stock car out of the box either. There are a few heavy duty re-enforcements in the rear and front axles that had to be scratch built. Plus the race car had double shocks – and the kit comes only with singles ones, only matching the street version. But on the other had, it wouldn’t be as fun if all the work was done – right?
While putting the kit together, I had some trouble with the engine compartment. The air intake (to the air filter) didn’t allow the hood to close. It rests on the radiator housing, but it is just too high. So I just had to trim the part a bit to make it thinner and make it fit – you wouldn’t even notice.
Appart from that, I didn’t experience too many big issues with the kit. Or maybe I was too focused on the few scratch built items.
Now, I leave you with a last look to a “shiny” 56 Ford Sunliner Stock Car, because this one is going to get weathered too – matching the Black Widow. By the way, the after market decals are really cool. Some of them are composed by several layers that you have to apply one by one and one on top of each other. I has concerned about that – but it turned out to be an easy thing. The guy who made the decals made a great work! I got he decals at “Mikes Decals”, by the way. Very friendly guy.